This is a well designed, powerful Skagit line designed for modern spey rods in the 12-13' range. I've cast this head on my 13' 7wt Sage MOD and Winston Nimbus 12'9" 7wt and found it to be really intuitive, and surprisingly effortless and powerful. It's a bit shorter than some other Skagits on the market. It loads up quick and turns over with the best of em.
From Scientific Anglers:
We have completely redesigned our Skagit head series for 2021. Leaving the traditional, level-belly Skagit tapers behind, our new lines are fully tapered from end to end. This provides the smoothest power delivery from the rod, through the line, to the tip, and ultimately to the fly. We have painstakingly optimized the tip diameter of these heads to cover a broad spectrum of sink tip lengths and weights. No matter what you attach to the end, this line will deliver it accurately with authority.
Standard Float - The floating head is available in a visible, but not obnoxious, sky blue color. The back of the head is identified with a black band that contrasts well with bright colored shooting lines. 450 is 21.5' - 600 is 23.5'. Half a foot length increments in ascending weights.
Short Float - The Skagit Short is designed to pair better with shorter Spey rods or when an angler needs to wade deep. This allows the angler to maintain a good D-loop even when the distance between the rod tip and water is shortened. 450 is 18' - 570 is 20.5'. Half a foot length increments in ascending weights.
- Compact, powerful design with fully tapered belly for consistent turnover and accurate delivery
- Designed to be used with sink tips for targeting steelhead and salmon
- High contrast sighter at the rear of the head identifies the perfect overhang
- Intermediate sink density swings flies deeper and slower than a floating head
- Braided multifilament core for moderate and cold climates