Plan D Tube Fly Mandrels are made from 316 marine grade stainless steel and come 20 to a bag and in three different sizes:
- Small (.065mm o.d.) Our smallest mandrel. It is a little bendy but will fit most small tubes even if they have been partially crushed or the nose holes were melted without being reamed by a mandrel when still hot.
Medium (.08mm o.d.) Fits most micro tubing and Pro Tubes
Large (.1mm o.d.) Fits most medium tubing such as HMH
To get started you will need: (1) pair of wire cutters, (1) Plan D mandrel kit, (1) Plan D tube fly box and your flies. Safety glasses recommended.
2. Insert a mandrel through the back end of the fly until the clip at the end of the mandrel clips over the junction tubing (or the tube itself if not using junction tubing.)
3. Measure exposed mandrel against the tube block in the fly box and cut mandrel to length using wire cutters. Leave some exposed mandrel sticking out of the end of the tube block.
4. Insert the exposed mandrel into the slotted silicone tube block. Repeat with the rest of your flies! Flies are held securely in the silicone block. The box can even be used to rinse and dry flies that were used in salt water. The small foam pad is for your tube fly hook storage.
5. Lastly, please consider mandrel kits to be like sink tips. You really can’t get by with just one tip or one size of tip. Each box comes with a free medium mandrel kit to get you started. We highly recommend that you purchase at least one small mandrel kit to ensure you have what you need. Grabbing one more additional as back up is never a bad thing to do!